"Magnetic" inks et alia

A place, and resource to talk about various electronic components to use within your projects.
Rainsong

"Magnetic" inks et alia

Postby Rainsong » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:27 pm

Hi, all.

For those who wish to experiment with the symbolic machines, to replicate Mr. Campbell's experience, you will find that various inks that conduct electricity are easily available at any shop that sells calligraphy supplies. I've had reasonably good results with a simple Speedball ink in "gold."

A basic ink is merely water, gum arabic, and ground pigment. Therefore, you can make some up yourself with any substance you can grind with mortar and pestle. India ink is this basic recipe using fine carbon as the pigment.

There is also the option of inking in the lines with any of several sticky bases sold for gilding and fake gold leaf, and sticking leaf to it. Leafing comes in all sorts of interesting metals. Hardware stores sell small pots of paint with suspended metal particles which are meant as a simpler, faster, and considerably cheaper alternative to gilding.

Be well.

JosephMax

Re: "Magnetic" inks et alia

Postby JosephMax » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:58 am

Rainsong wrote:Hi, all.

For those who wish to experiment with the symbolic machines, to replicate Mr. Campbell's experience, you will find that various inks that conduct electricity are easily available at any shop that sells calligraphy supplies. I've had reasonably good results with a simple Speedball ink in "gold."

There are conductive paints like this:

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-st ... OZ./1.html

It's sold as "glue" but it's more like the consistency of paint, though it can be used to make solderless connections by firmly wrapping wires to posts and coating them with it. Good for people who want to try making a wired circuit but don't want to solder.

There's also a conductive paint pen that I've used in electrical circuits:

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-st ... ING/1.html

I've got this idea of laser etching or routing a psionic circuit like a Symbolic Hieronymus Machine into plastic or Bakelite, and filling the etched lines with the conductive paint. Best of both worlds!
•••••• Joseph Max – Aetheric Artist •••••••
•••• http://josephmax.wordpress.com ••••

Jean

Postby Jean » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:14 pm

Do you think these conductive inks could be used to draw an antenna? I like to make fractal antennas and they are difficult to make by hand. On another site someone mentioned using a conductive pen for this.

JosephMax

Postby JosephMax » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:24 am

I see no reason an antenna couldn't be drawn with conductive ink.

Fractal antennas sound interesting. Wouldn't it be challenging to draw them by hand? You could etch a circuit board with such a pattern, I suppose.
•••••• Joseph Max – Aetheric Artist •••••••
•••• http://josephmax.wordpress.com ••••

Jean

Postby Jean » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:52 pm

Yes it would be challenging to draw the by hand but you could use a template or trace one from something. Not to get too too small in the bends just a better job than I did with my coat hanger wire one that I made for the wishing machine. That was really hard to do, it was my first attempt! I read that fractal antennas get much better reception than regular ones. So I figured the opposite must be true too. Next time I'll use thinner copper wire or the pen.

Jean

Postby Jean » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:06 pm

DSC06072.jpg
my first attempts at making fractal antennas. I hope to do better.
DSC06072.jpg (17.1 KiB) Viewed 2662 times
DSC06079.jpg
DSC06079.jpg (15.05 KiB) Viewed 2662 times

Return to “Electronic & Psychotronic Components”