What is everyone reading?

This is the general category, if you can't find a category to match your topic, this is where it belongs.
Tap_C

What is everyone reading?

Postby Tap_C » Sat May 07, 2011 1:34 pm

Assuming you do read, that is. :)

With what are we stretching our minds? Or simply entertaining ourselves?

I've just finished reading Mark Twain's Huckleberry Finn and am currently coming to the end of The Nature of Personal Reality by Jane Roberts, one of the Seth books. Also reading The God of Jane by the same lady and The Law of Attraction by Jerry and Esther Hicks.

My to-read list is quite varied and extensive, including The Unknown Reality Volume 1 (Jane Roberts), Surely You're Joking, Mr Feynman! (Richard Feynman), The Brothers Karamazov (Fyodor Dostoevsky), A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court (Mark Twain), a biography of J. D. Salinger, a biography of Aleister Crowley, DMT: The Spirit Molecule (Rick Strassman), Emerson Among the Eccentrics (Carlos Baker), The Complete Magick Curriculum of The Secret Order G.B.G. (Carl Llewellyn Weschcke), Muddy Tracks (Frank DeMarco), The Sphere and the Hologram (Frank DeMarco), and last but not least, Street Gang: The Complete History of Sesame Street (Michael Davis).

Oh, and I'm also planning to re-read Salinger's works.

Tap is a :geek: :D
Last edited by Tap_C on Sat May 07, 2011 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Seymour once said that all we do our whole lives is go from one little piece of Holy Ground to the next."
- Seymour: An Introduction - J. D. Salinger

Kmj

Re: What is everyone reading?

Postby Kmj » Sat May 07, 2011 2:30 pm

Huckleberry Finn! Love it. That's an impressive list you have Tap C :) Good for you. I am currently reading books/articles on communication as I am applying for graduate school. I am also reading the Rich Dad, Poor Dad series by Kiyosaki.

Kmj

Tap_C

Postby Tap_C » Sat May 07, 2011 2:50 pm

Thanks Kmj, ever read any Salinger? Good luck with graduate school - which one are you applying to?
"Seymour once said that all we do our whole lives is go from one little piece of Holy Ground to the next."

cp1

Postby cp1 » Sat May 07, 2011 8:03 pm

Just finished 'The Key of the Mysteries' "La Clef des Grands Mystères" by Eliphas Levi - translated and introduction by Aleister Crowley.

I highly suggest reading this.

Spirit Molecule was great. I still have not seen the movie though.

Tap_C

Postby Tap_C » Sat May 07, 2011 8:17 pm

cp1 wrote:Spirit Molecule was great. I still have not seen the movie though.

There's a movie? I didn't know that.

I bought the book after it was referred to in an online alchemy documentary, should really get started on it soon.

cp1

Postby cp1 » Sun May 08, 2011 12:55 am

I suggest PiHKAL and TiHKAL, by Alexander Shulgin.

I also just finished "The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Essential Oils: The Complete Guide to the Use of Oils in Aromatherapy & Herbalism" by Julia Lawless and "The Complete Book of Incense, Oils and Brews" by Scott Cunningham.

I do not read many 'story' books, but I did just reread "the Bakery Attack" by Murakami Haruki. I have some other stuff by him but have not gotten into it. I often have trouble getting into 'story' books but can read non-fiction 'scientific-journals' & encyclopedia type stuff all day long. :geek: :ugeek: Double geek. lol
Found here http://www.scribd.com/doc/7009426/The-Bakery-Attack

I pretty much read constantly, even while 'trying' to watch a movie. hahahha

A lot of Ayn Rand's stuff is good, but the movie trailers out right now look...not so good. Although it got very good reviews from a lot of people. I was just looking over at a forum I moderate at and we have a similar thread. I am going to post some of my favorites, I hope no one minds.

"Operating Manual for Spaceship Earth" by R. Buckminster Fuller <--A MUST read.
"What Is Lightbody" by Tashira Tachi-ren channeling Archangel Ariel <-- I have some intense synchronicity with this book and my childhood.
"Secrets of Life" by T.Aniszewski
Mandala: Luminous Symbols for Healing By Judith Cornell
Bhagavad Gita
Shashtras - Bhautika Shastra (physics), Rasayana Shastra (Chemistry), Jeeva Shastra (Biology), Vaastu Shastra (architectural science), Shilpa Shastra (science of sculpture) and Artha Shastra( Economics), Neeti Shastra (political science).
Vedas - Rigveda, Yajurveda, Samaveda & Atharvaveda
Upanishads - Mukhya, Shakta
Holy Bible(new AND old testaments, lost books, etc.)
Qur'an
Arya Sathya Vedam
the Odyssey
Zero:Biography of a Dangerous Idea
The Nothing that Is: A Natural History of Zero
the Fountainhead - Ayn Rand
Atlas Shrugged - Ayn Rand
This Is It - Alan Watts
Be Here Now - Ram Dass
Operating Manual for Spaceship Earth - R. Buckminster Fuller
Tibetan Book of the Dead
the Psychedelic Experience - Timothy Leary
I Ching
Tao Te Ching
Harmonices Mundi - Johannes Kepler
Origin of Species - Charles Darwin
Novum organum - Francis Bacon
the Total Library - Jorge Borges

I have not finished this yet, but its interesting so far "The Aurora of the Philosophers" by Theophrastus Paracelsus
http://cronique.wordpress.com/the-auror ... losophers/

Tap_C

Postby Tap_C » Tue May 10, 2011 7:39 pm

Yesterday a load of Aleister Crowley books came into the shop I volunteer in and I couldn't resist buying a couple of them. Now I suppose I have them to add to my list. I probably won't be able to read them for months, but at least I have now have some on board.

JosephMax

Postby JosephMax » Tue May 10, 2011 8:25 pm

Tap_C wrote:Yesterday a load of Aleister Crowley books came into the shop I volunteer in and I couldn't resist buying a couple of them. Now I suppose I have them to add to my list. I probably won't be able to read them for months, but at least I have now have some on board.

Which ones did you get?

The best Crowley books are Magick Without Tears, The Law is For All, The Book of Lies and The Book of Thoth. And any Crowley collection should have Magick: In Theory & Practice, The Holy Books of Thelema and of course, The Book of the Law. Gems from The Equinox is good to have around too.
•••••• Joseph Max – Aetheric Artist •••••••
•••• http://josephmax.wordpress.com ••••

ruben1

Postby ruben1 » Tue May 10, 2011 11:07 pm

The best Crowley books are Magick Without Tears, The Law is For All, The Book of Lies and The Book of Thoth. And any Crowley collection should have Magick: In Theory & Practice, The Holy Books of Thelema and of course, The Book of the Law. Gems from The Equinox is good to have around too.

I will take a note of this list. I just ordered The Book of Thoth. It took them a week or so to ship it. But it is on its way here and will be on my desk soon.

I came to an interesting point with the thoth deck. I always used the thoth deck in different ways than the way that most folks used them. I took to heart the Uncle Chuckie advice of using symbols in the way that they were intended. In other words, whatever the energy associated with particular symbols are, use them. As I am totally familiar with the thoth deck, it was a natural for me to use this deck on my machines.

Well, there are other symbols and meaning besides what I have used. It became apparent to me, I needed to study the cards out of a totally new context. I can then add this energy to my work with the cards. Interestingly enough, many of the books associated with the thoth deck are not highly prized or considered valuable on Amazon dot com. I found a number of books for a dollar or two. There is a standard shipping fee of 4 bucks. So I ordered the Book of Thoth, and eight other books about the thoth deck.

I am particularly interested in what Lady Frieda Harris had to say about the cards. She is the artist who painted them. I always felt that she included things that Crowley did not. And her contributions were very valuable.

I also ordered two more books recently. Both are being shipped now. One is the book, Let There Be Light. This is a book about the spectrochrome therapy that the feds went out and destroyed, Wilhelm Reich style. It used color to heal people. I remember way back when using these machines to train mediums.

The other book is "The Orgone Accumulator Handbook: Wilhelm Reich's Life-Energy Discoveries and Healing Tools for the 21st Century, with Construction Plans". This is the 2010 edition. It includes about a 100 new pages to take into account all the new forms of electro pollution. Time for me to learn a little more about orgone energy. And to build an orgone device or two. I recently got to experience an orgone blanket. It really does run interference with some crap that can occur. It does make you feel better. But it is heavy!
ruben1

Tap_C

Postby Tap_C » Tue May 10, 2011 11:45 pm

JosephMax wrote:The best Crowley books are Magick Without Tears, The Law is For All, The Book of Lies and The Book of Thoth. And any Crowley collection should have Magick: In Theory & Practice, The Holy Books of Thelema and of course, The Book of the Law. Gems from The Equinox is good to have around too.

I got the first two you mentioned - I would be interested in looking at The Book of the Law someday but that wasn't amongst the collection. Gems from the Equinox is another title that the shop received although I'm not sure if I shall purchase that one yet. I have much to read already, so I may just settle, for now, for the two I've already bought.

Return to “General”